This is a compilation of some – though apparently far from all – of Norah Jones’ guest appearances after she became a star. (Though some feel more like duets.) I guess it’s a way for people to see what else she’s doing? I don’t know.
Because the thing about this is that there’s a lot of different genres, and depending on what you like – or what you think of Norah Jones’ music – you may or may not like what’s on here.
Yes, most of it is sort of jazz pop and roots pop, but then there’s hip hop, country, and other stuff, and it’s all kind of incoherent, as whoever assembled it seems to have wanted to pick the “choice cuts” rather than, you know, thinking about style or genre. And so it comes off sounding like some teenager’s mixtape: “Hey man, check out Norah Jones.” I guess if you like that kind of thing, then it’s cool. But if you don’t, then it’s annoying.
The one thing I can say it does sort of get right is that there’s more Norah Jones on a lot of these tracks than the supposed star performers she’s guesting with. So at least it’s semi-consistent there.
And, for me, it doesn’t do either of the things I would expect it sets out to do: it doesn’t make me want to acquire a Norah Jones record, nor does it make me want acquire any the records these performances are on, those it’s kind of fun to play guess the artist when you’re not looking at the track listing.
- “Love Me” by The Little Willies, from The Little Willies 3:51
- “Virginia Moon” by the Foo Fighters from In Your Honor 3:51
- “Turn Them” by Sean Bones from Rings 4:03
- “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” by Willie Nelson American from Classic 3:58
- “Bull Rider” by Norah Jones, fearuting Sasha Dobson from iTunes Originals 2:59
- “Ruler of My Heart” by Dirty Dozen Brass Band from Medicated Magic 2:59
- “The Best Part” by El Madmo from El Madmo 3:25
- “Take Off Your Cool” by OutKast from Speakerboxxx/The Love Below 2:38
- “Life Is Better” by Q-Tip from The Renaissance 4:27
- “Soon the New Day” by Talib Kweli from Eardrum 4:04
- “Little Lou, Ugly Jack, Prophet John” by Belle & Sebastian from Belle & Sebastian Write About Love 4:25
- “Here We Go Again” by Ray Charles from Genius Loves Company 3:59
- “Loretta” by Norah Jones featuring Gillian Welch & David Rawlings from Live in 2004 3:16
- “Dear John” by Ryan Adams from Jacksonville City Nights 4:36
- “Creepin’ In” by Norah Jones featuring Dolly Parton from Feels like Home 3:00
- “Court & Spark” by Herbie Hancock from River: The Joni Letters 7:36
- “More than This” by Charlie Hunter from Songs from the Analog Playground 4:11
- “Blue Bayou” by Norah Jones featuring M. Ward from Live from Austin 3:43
- 19 “I Got It Bad (And That Ain’t Good)” by Dayna Kurtz from Beautiful Yesterday
- 20 “Any Other Day” by Wyclef Jean from Carnival Vol. II: Memoirs of an Immigrant