Music reviews for music published in the decade of the 1730s.
1. Johann Sebastian Bach: Harpsichord Concertos BWV 1052-1057 (10/10)
These were probably written a lot earlier, but since the only copy of them is from the 1730s, here we are. Essential works for the harpsichord. I also really like Gould’s piano versions.
2. Johann Sebastian Bach: Italian Concerto BWV 971 (10/10)
I prefer the above harpsichord concertos to this one (they were probably written earlier too, so there’s that) but that’s probably just because I am a snob and this concerto is so popular.
3. Johann Sebastian Bach: “Overture in the French Style” BWV 831 (9/10)
This is a new one to me.
4. Johann Sebastian Bach: “Nun danket alle Gott” BWV 192 (8/10)
One of his innumerable cantatas.
5. Johann Sebastian Bach: “Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott” BWV 80 (8/10)