Music reviews for music that was released in 1964.
1. John Coltrane: A Love Supreme (10/10)
2. The Beatles: A Hard Day’s Night (10/10)
3. Another Side of Bob Dylan (10/10)
4. The Great Concert of Charles Mingus (10/10)
5. Bob Dylan: The Times They Are a Changin’ (10/10)
6. The Who: My Generation (10/10)
7. Beatles For Sale (10/10)
8. Herbie Hancock: Empyrean Isles (9/10)
9. Bernard Herrmann: Marnie Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (7/10)
10. Maurice Durufle: Méditation (7/10)
Another brief piece, one which we can assume was not intended for publication, since it was published after Durufle’s death. This is one of those brief musical paintings meant to conjure something. I’m not sure what, but it’s nice enough to listen to. I wouldn’t meditate to it, but I’m not sure that’s the idea.
11. John Coltrane: Coltrane’s Sound (7/10)
By the time this was released, Coltrane had already completely moved on from this music. If you are not evaluating it in 1960 terms, it would look pretty weak.