Yesterday on Quora, I found perhaps the best short summary of what white privilege is that I, as a white male Canadian, have ever read in my life. I have embedded it here for your perusal because I really do think it captures this concept better than anything else I’ve read on the subject.
Also, speaking as a tall person, I can relate in more than one way.
What I would add to it is this:
- Some tall people are legitimately unaware that there are that many short people
- Some tall people are legitimately unaware that short people may not be able to reach the things on the tall shelves
- Some tall people think short people should have to jump as a way of being equal with tall people
- Some tall people think the very act of talking about height differences is somehow heightist
- There are many tall people who want to pretend we’re all the same height